Health Canada approved non-invasive injectable permanently eliminates unwanted fat under the chin (commonly referred to as a double chin) and contour your chin profile.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
This injectable breaks down unwanted localized fat under the chin area which helps reduce and eventually eliminates a double chin. It contains the active ingredient deoxycholic acid, a naturally-occurring molecule in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat. When injected into the fat beneath your chin, it causes the destruction of fat cells. Once destroyed, those cells cannot store or accumulate fat.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT DURING MY APPOINTMENT?
Your injection will be performed by our registered nurse in our conveniently located medical spa in the heart of Windsor, Ontario. Our trained clinicians will begin by prepping you for your treatment which involves cleaning the area to be treated and placing a injection grid on your neck. Our nurser will inject small amounts of this injectable directly into the unwanted fat. A typical treatment takes approximately 45 minutes.
It is normal to experience minor swelling in the treatment area. Some patients also report minor bruising, pain, numbness, redness, and areas of hardness in the treatment area.
WHEN WILL I SEE RESULTS & HOW LONG DO RESULTS LAST?
Results will vary per individual based on the amount of subcutaneous fat in the double chin. Most patients will need between 2 to 6 injections to reach their desired results. Treatments must be spaced at least one month apart. Patients report seeing their Belkyra results four to six weeks after each treatment.
Once the desired aesthetic response is achieved re-treatment is not expected. You can return to your regular daily routine immediately after your Belkyra injection, no downtime is needed.
You should not receive this double chin treatment if you have an infection in the treatment area, are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed, have difficulty swallowing, nerve injuries or weakness in the lower face. Discuss with your doctor if you are taking prescription and other medication that could be blood thinners (anticoagulants).
PRE & POST TREATMENT GUIDES
- Ensure you have 4 full days to recover before returning to work or important social engagements.
- 10 days before treatment: Avoid aspirin.
- 5 days before treatment: Avoid ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), other non-steroidal medications (Aleve) and Vitamin E, St. John’s Wort, & fish oil supplements. Consult doctor prior to discontinuing prescribed medications.
- 1 hr before treatment: To avoid possible discomfort, you may take 1g of acetaminophen (i.e. Tylenol) or NSAIDs (such as ibuprofen).
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) & Zyrtec (antihistamine) may be taken for discomfort & itching.
- Treated areas should not be scratched, picked or trauma-tized in any way. Do not massage or manipulate injection site.
- Swelling & redness is expected after treatment. You may also experience bruising, pain, numbness, & induration this can last up to 14 days.
- For 72 hrs following treatment: Sleep with your head elevat-ed (2 to 3 pillows) to reduce swelling.
- For 3 days following treatment: A cool compress can be applied to the area for a maximum of 20 minutes per hour (this is not required).
- For 3 days following treatment: Avoid strenuous activities.
- Cleanse gently with non-irrating cleansers.
- A loose scarf or other neck covering can be used to camou-flage any swelling or bruising during recovery.
- If you have any difficulty swallowing, crusting or scabbing, asymmetry of your smile, contact the spa.